Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review of Steaming By Vanessa Barger


Along with the book details and review for Steaming, I have included a look at Vanessa's second book Slack Tide.  Let's take a look at Steaming first:

My name is Cornelius Latimer, and I have fallen in love.

The object of my affection isn’t tall and blonde with all the right curves. It isn’t even human. My love belches steam and breathes fire. My world runs on steam and hard metal, and I am a master of both. My Uncle, Rufus Harrison, has funded my expeditions. He’s gifted me with a lab containing all the parts and space I could possibly need. For weeks I have been toiling over my journals, crafting my biggest and best creation yet. It’s heady, this feeling of power. But I made a fatal error. I told a friend about my machine. And now someone who should not know, does. I should tear everything apart, but I can’t.

Love does strange things to people.

My Review
I love reading new things and this novel was definitely that, different.  Cornelius is a young man who spends most of his time locked in his mind.  Girls and frivolous past times are lost on him as he prefers the company of cold steel and blueprints.  That is until his eye is caught by the lovely Temperance.  She was a vision and positively stole his breathe, unfortunately for him she had that effect on everyone.  What could a tinker possibly offer such a beauty?  His best friend was more up for this game than he, but he couldn't resist her.  Perhaps he could impress her with his lab?

Which is exactly what Temperance wants to be!!  The plot thickens and unfolds as Cornelius attempts to court this young woman.  He finds himself on the wrong end of a blackmail and unsuccessfully attempts to rectify the situation.  His saving grace ends up being no other than a servant and Temperance's sister!!  The twists and turns in the plot are fascinating and seem to widen off into a much bigger picture than at first glance.'

This book brings to light two important themes:  Things are not always what they seem and if it seems to good to be true, it probably is!!  I really enjoyed the book.  I loved the random mythological beings that were thrown into the mix.  It was refreshing read that was filled with mystery, suspense, and a touch of romance. I really enjoyed this book!!



And here is a little taste of Slack Tide:



At a time when most girls are worried about prom dresses, Lorelei Stamper is worried about losing her skin -- literally. Receiving a sealskin from her Aunt, her world is changed. Not only is she a selkie, but she holds the key to breaking a curse affecting all selkie.

Now monsters are stalking her, forcing her to decide if she will end the curse before she even really understands what’s happening. When Declan, one of two bodyguards sent to protect her, wakes her sleeping heart, she must try to balance love, surviving her senior year, and deciding whether she wants to be human or not. No matter what she chooses, the fact remains that breaking the curse demands blood. Hers.





1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Thanks for taking the time to review Steaming, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!!!!

Disqus for Close Encounters with the NIght Kind

AddThis

Copyright Text