Thursday, March 14, 2013

Review: Wombstone by Jessica Roscoe




Title: Wombstone
Author: Jessica Roscoe
Series: A Vampireland Novel
Genre:  Paranormal (Warning Mature Readers) (Authors Note)
Publisher: Indiana Ink Publishing
Release Date: Mar 1 2013
Edition/Formats it will be available in: Ebook and Print

Blurb/Synopsis:              
Mia Blake wasn’t the first girl that was taken by the vampires.
She had heard all about the girls who were missing, and even though they were only “missing”, she knew in her heart that those girls were dead.

She felt sad for them, sure. But more than that, she felt glad that they had been strangers – not someone she knew, and certainly not her. Things like that didn’t happen to girls like her.
They always happened to someone else, and that’s why she barely blinked as she made her way across an empty football field, through a deserted parking lot, to meet a fate she had arrogantly assumed was reserved for other people.

She was a stupid girl.

She paid for it.


Book Links
Goodreads


Author Information
Jessica Roscoe is the author of Wombstone, a Young Adult paranormal novel. From a young age, she delighted in the written word and would often scare her poor parents with outlandish stories filled with the supernatural and macabre.

Jessica studied film and screenwriting at university before deciding that novels were her calling. The setting for Wombstone was inspired by a six-month stint in the U.S. where she worked as a lifeguard at a summer camp in Mt Freedom, New Jersey. She is currently working on the next book in the Vampireland series. Her other loves in life include good quality tea, delicious wine, reading and hanging out with her husband and baby girl.

Blog
Facebook Author Page
Goodreads Author Page
Twitter
Website

Excerpts

“What do you want?” I kept throwing questions at him. “Who are you?”

“You are here,” he answered. “If you keep asking questions, I’ll kill you.”

“You broke my nose,” I said accusingly, narrowing my eyes.

He raised his eyebrows, coming closer, peering at my nose. “I could punch you again, straighten it up?”

I pulled my head back, just out of his reach. “I’ll be fine, thanks.”

“Do you need anything? More blankets?”

I stared incredulously at this teetering Jekyll and Hyde who wanted to punch me and get me a blankie in the same conversation. “I need to get home,” I said slowly, as if I were speaking to a moron. “I have my geometry final in two days.”

His tone was dry. “Somehow, I don’t think that’s going to be a problem anymore.”
Fear shot up my spine again. “Look” - I started.

“No, you look,” he said dangerously, putting a hot hand around my throat and squeezing. “I didn’t come in here to make casual conversation.”

I gasped and choked for air.

“Just do what you’re told. Cooperate. It will be over soon enough.”

I nodded, still choking. He released his grip and I fell to my knees, holding my throat with both hands. He waited, staring at me blankly, as I found the air to speak.

As I asked the question I wasn’t sure I wanted answered.

“Are you going to kill me?”

He laughed, but his mask slipped a little, because he faltered. “Of course not.”

“Well then you’re pretty stupid,” I shot. “Letting me see your face. Your license plate. Your tattoo.” I pointed to the black, luminous symbol etched onto his wrist that looked like a pair of eagles wings.

“Are you trying to talk me into it?” he asked with a smirk.
I glared at him.

“I know what you’re doing, sweetie. You’re trying to provoke me.”

“How am I doing so far?”

He grinned like the smug bastard he was. “Terribly.”



This was an excellent read!!!  This is a book that embodies my idea of what an old vampire would be like.  But be warned...it is a dark read.  Blood slaves and death are in this book, so if you are a Twilight lover...this isn't the book for you.  This is a take on the darker side of the vampire nature, where the killing is more prevalent.  The mythology behind the creation of the vampire itself it fascinating as well as what  caused our main characters to become what they are.  The story line was great even though the beginning was chalked full of sadness.  I recommend this book for the darker side of life fans.  You won't be disappointed. I can't wait until the next installation!!!

  



No comments:

Disqus for Close Encounters with the NIght Kind

AddThis

Copyright Text