Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Review on the Release Day of Kristen Painter's fabulous NEW series: House of the Rising Sun



House of the Rising Sun is out today!

Augustine lives the perfect life in the Haven city of New Orleans. He rarely works a real job, spends most of his nights with a different human woman, and resides in a spectacular Garden District mansion paid for by retired movie star Olivia Goodwin, who has come to think of him as an adopted son, providing him room and board and whatever else he needs.
 
But when Augustine returns home to find Olivia's been attacked by vampires, he knows his idyllic life has comes to an end. It's time for revenge -- and to take up the mantle of the city's Guardian.
 
Then Olivia's estranged daughter, Harlow, arrives. She hates being fae, but her powers are exactly what Augustine needs to catch the vampires. Can he convince her to help him in time? Or will the sparks between them send her running again?

Review:

I'm a big fan of Kristen Painter's work (and her exquisite taste in cover art) and was so excited that she had a new series coming out!!  After reading Book One, I am proud to say that this author has yet to disappoint!! It was a fabulous dip into New Orleans, well the paranormal version of it..lol.

As much as I loved Livie, Lally, Dolce, and Augie,(who were such lovable and diverse characters), I equally loathed Harlow.  I disliked her to the point that in the middle of the story I was screaming at her and hoping she got thrown in jail early (actually I was really hoping her head would explode).  Before you get to know her, I promise you she will make it to your character top ten of wanting to stab repeatedly in the eye.  I was stressing out.  How can I continue reading a series with such an unfavorable main character?  How can she write such a whiny, immature, lead like Harlow when she could have made her more like Dolce (who was one of my favs)?  

Then it happens.  Harlow starts opening up, you start to find out more about her, and you learn about the twists that come with her abilities.  She grows on you as she starts allowing herself to live as what she is supposed to be. Both of our main characters have a strained relationship with their parents, but they are completely different in approach and attitude.  I would really stretch it to say that Augustine sees a lot of his mother in Harlow, which in itself is troubling to him.  She's still not my favorite character, but her potential to be has grown so much from the beginning to the end.  I can't wait to see her when she reaches her full potential.

As far as the plot and the other othernaturals ( I love that word because it sums up all the mixed breeds)?  Her underground world is made up of new and diverse beings with quite different powers than what you have grown accustom to.  Being a fellow comic book nerd,  I see a lot of Hellboy in this book, minus the government involvement.  In this world the othernaturals have their own government and policies set up.  The humans know they are there, but are able to live out their normal lives. 

In Book One we are introduced to some of the main players in the battle that is coming.  I have a feeling this is more complex than it seems and can't wait to see more of what's in store!!  I thoroughly enjoyed this book from beginning to end (even the parts when I wanted to stab Harlow) and added it to my pile of re-reads.  I loved it enough to want to read it again....and maybe again.  I cannot wait for the next book and would recommend this to urban, comic book,  and paranormal fans alike!!   This was an excellent read and my only regret is that I can only give it 5 stars!! You rocked it Kristen!!!!






No comments:

Disqus for Close Encounters with the NIght Kind

AddThis

Copyright Text