Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Review: Verity Hart Vs the Vampyres Part One by Jennifer Harlow



The whole of Victorian London knows there is something not quite right about the Lady Verity Hart. She may be the daughter of an MP and the sister of famed inventor Lord David Hart, but she is a spinster whose own father threatens to send her to the madhouse every fortnight. Because Society is correct-Verity Hart is no lady. If they suspected how quick with a quip she is, let alone the majority of her brother's ingenious machines were her design, the sale of fainting couches would double. 
Verity requires one herself when her beloved brother is kidnapped by vampyres in the dead of night. With the aid of an aggravating, rude American bounty hunter with a secret of his own, Verity takes to land, sea, and even air to rescue the only person who could ever love and truly accept her. Or is he? 

Part One of Five includes: 

Chapter One- The Notorious Count Orrlock Has A Ball 
Chapter Two- When Worlds Collide

My Review:

Unbelievable!!  I really didn't think I could enjoy this series as much as F.R.E.A.K.S, but I am happy to report that was REALLY wrong!!  I have an incredible soft spot for steampunk, and this book has risen to the top of my favorites in this particular genre.  The world-building was superb, the characters delightful, unexpected, and most importantly relatable (ignoring the fact that some were paranormals).  Each character in this book could literally step off the pages and you would want them as a part of your life, especially Verity.

Verity has this way about her that tweaks at your heart.  Her flaws are a huge part of what makes her such an interesting and complex character.  I love it when an author creates a strong and intelligent heroine, that is at odds with the time in which she was born in.  And the machines!!  Sometimes the machines, clothing, and jewelry rival in my mind for the best part about a steampunk, as to which in this book I have to give it to the jewelry.  Verity's intricate pieces with have thinking of the design of a hairpiece of your own!!


Jamie was not your typical alpha male, which made him that much more perfect for Verity.   The adventures the two of these unique characters go on are both fast passed and all consuming.  It was very hard for me to put down once I started reading it.  I look forward to the next few books in the series!!   It looks completely promising!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have this one on my wish list. I'm glad to read your confirmation that its a good one.

Unknown said...

oh I needed a good steampunk read. I'll have to try this one out..great review ;)

Disqus for Close Encounters with the NIght Kind

AddThis

Copyright Text