Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: Faythe Reclaimed by Lisa Sanchez


Running through a strange forest with a bloodthirsty demon hot on her heels wasn’t Taylor’s idea of a rockin’ evening. Then again, neither was soaring backward through time and space. Time travel chafed and left a rank, nasty aftertaste. So, when she finds herself floundering amidst a sea of Commandment-loving holy rollers who fling accusations of witchcraft and bedevilment like hotcakes in a diner, finding her way home jumps to the top of her to do list. Too bad she can’t remember who she is or where she came from. And if that wasn’t bad enough, Taylor has to fall for the mysterious Latin warlock living on the edge of Salem Village and who comes to her rescue, Gabriel Castillo.

Battling an identity crisis and lost in a time that’s not her own, Taylor is determined to find her way back to twenty-first century Hanaford Park. But first, she and Gabriel must work together to uncover the dark scourge lurking in Salem's shadows, and in doing so, save their own lives, and the lives of countless innocents from a lethal date with the hangman’s noose.


My Review:

I have read countless theories on what really happened during the witch trials in Salem, but I must confess I quite enjoyed this spin.  This book was shockingly delightful, considering the seriousness of the subject matter!  Taylor has a dry wit but I found this book to be quite funny.  I'm not sure if it was the irony of a this century woman going back during those times or not.  I think I would have shared her view-point and opinion on the matter.  This book was an all around great read.  If your into a better recreation of Salem, that is!!

Taylor gets thrust back into the past and becomes a person known as Faythe.  Instead of it being meltdown time, Taylor actually handles it rather well since she can't remember anything, including her name.  She does know that her way of talking is frowned upon by the Goodly people of the area she landed in.  That and the fact she is almost killed by and 8 ft tall skeletal demon.  No biggie, right?

Taylor has her own inner monologue going on the whole time and she was an incredibly delightful character to get to know.  She goes through quit a bit but ends up healing Gabriel in the end.  I can well imagine myself thrust back into that time.  No indoor plumbing or hand sanitizer?  I shudder to think of it.  I'm not one to give away spoilers but I want you to know that the end (which in my opinion was the most amazing part) brought happy tears to my eyes.  I love books that wring emotion out of you, and this one hit the spot!!





2 comments:

andieleah said...

This book ready sounds good!!! Added to my tbr!

Jennifer Lane said...

Excellent review, Nikki! I'm looking forward to reading #3 in the Hanaford Park series. See ya on the Lovestruck Giveaway Hop--I'm participating too.

Disqus for Close Encounters with the NIght Kind

AddThis

Copyright Text